Modelling is undoubtedly one of the most fiercely competitive working industries of the modern day (I should know as I’ve modeled professionally for many years). There are so many young men and women who are looking to make it in this area, however, there is no room for everybody to become a top model. This post is designed to ensure you use all of the tools at your disposal to help you succeed. So, keep reading to discover some secrets of becoming a thriving model in today’s market.
• Love what you do and let it show – A lot of people underestimate just how important this is. Modelling is one of those industries you typically go into because you love the job. This outweighs any other perk. Thus, instead of worrying and stressing, embrace every moment and thoroughly enjoy what you do. This will show and it will impress clients. There is nothing they like to see more than fashion.
• Flexible lifestyle – If you truly want to make it in this industry then you are going to have to be prepared to attend castings with barely any notice.
• Learn how to take rejection – If you are going to make it in this industry then you need to learn how to take the word ‘NO’. You are not going to be booked for every single job you go for. Even the superstars of today, such as Erin O’Connor, say that they still get knocked back. Nine times out of ten it is no bad reflection on you. You simply don’t represent the route the client wants to go down. So don’t let a no dishearten you, rather it should make you more determined.
• Positive mental attitude – Do you hate what you are wearing? Do you despise your makeup? It doesn’t matter. You have to wear it. Thus, train your mind to feel fabulous no matter what you are wearing.
• Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep – No one wants a model with bad skin or bags under their eyes. You need to look after number one. This means drinking as much water as possible and trying to get your eight hours of sleep a night whenever possible.
Additionally, having a great smile and taking care of your teeth is important too. Make sure that you stay up on dental appointments and even seeking out an orthodontist if need be.
• Know who you are as a model – There are many different types of modelling. It is unlikely that you are going to walk straight in and make it as a glamour model, a commercial model, a swimwear model, and a high fashion model all wrapped up into one. You need to know what type of modelling is going to suit you the most. Once you begin to make a name for yourself in the industry you will be able to dip into other areas of modelling.
• Versatility is the key to success – Nobody wants a model who only knows how to rock one look and only has one pose in their range. You need to show versatility. You have to perform on demand and convey any emotion that is required of you.
• Show off your personality – Finally, the world famous models of today all have distinct personalities. Look at Naomi Campbell or Cara Delevingne. They have strong characters. The biggest mistake aspiring models make is holding back. Be yourself. The worst thing you can ever be to a client is forgettable.
LETS GET SOCIAL…